Board of Revision
(M-F 8:00am – 4:30pm)
Contest Your Property
Property owners may contest their property value by filing a complaint with the Ashtabula County Board of Revision. The Board adjusts values, not tax dollars.
To file a complaint, please complete the appropriate form and submit between January 1 and March 31 of the current tax year.
A complaint initiates a legal proceeding. For more information, please read the instructions in the Board of Revision Rules of Practice and Procedure, or consult your attorney. Auditor employees cannot give legal advice.
Proving Your Case
The burden of proof falls on the complainant
Insufficient proof may result in no valuation change. The Board weighs all evidence in determining fair market value, including:
- If recently sold, supporting documentation such as the closing statement and purchase contract
- Independent fee appraisals
- Cost estimates to repair deficiencies in your property
- If the property produces income, expense and income statements
Based on Ohio law, the Board of Revision will not consider the following in their decision:
- A percentage of increase in the taxpayer’s taxes
- The difference between the taxpayer’s valuation and a nearby property’s valuation
The Auditor notifies a complainant through certified mail no less than ten days before the date of hearing if one is required. If a continuance is needed, please alert the Clerk of the Board of Revision immediately. For good cause shown, the Board may continue hearings at a party’s request.